My life in pictures, stories and open letters.

My life in pictures, stories and open letters.
Warning

Please be advised that you are entering my blog.
My blog.
The opinions herein are mine.
I am free to rant and vent to my heart's content.
If you find yourself mentioned here, then you've made quite an impression on me.
Feel free to read on if you would like to know if that impression is good, bad or ugly.
If you choose not to know, I invite you to move your mouse over to the little red X in the top corner of your screen and click.
Regardless of the option you choose, I hope you have a fabulous day!



Saturday, November 15, 2008

Because Carrie Got Me To Thinking....

While I realize Christmas memories weren't the only ones Carrie was talking about, it is those ones that come to mind. That's where memories, and traditions, are made the most.

Another huge Christmas tradition for me is the Christmas lights. Not just any lights. And not with just anyone.

We have amazing Christmas light displays here in Edmonton. 

My Grampa used to take my Gramma to see them.

The electric company opens up one of our major parks for two months. There are amazing light displays there, put on by larger companies and all money in is donated to charity. There are moving squirrels in the trees, Santa's Workshop, and, naturally, a hockey scene. Beautiful poinsettas and there is a Peter Pan display. You can't tell in these photos, but they are HUGE!








The Wrap-O-Matic is one of my favorites. It actually shows toys being loaded in and going through and coming out the other side all wrapped. Most of them do move around like that, on timers of course. It is amazing!

We have this one specific place called "Candycane Lane", which is ten residential city blocks decorated specifically for our enjoyment. People drive those blocks, take sleigh rides, or walk. They push their children in strollers when there isn't much snow, or pull little sleds when there is. There are tour busses and yellow school busses from senior's homes and group homes. Some people sell hot chocolate on the corners. There are food bank boxes for donation and mailboxes to drop off your kid's Dear Santa letters. It is a wonderful way to spend an evening.





Lastly, there is a new sight to see. This guy started decorating his home a few years ago. He has displays in every window of his house, has lights everywhere, Santa comes and news crews come. It is AMAZING!

After my Grampa got sick, we started to take my Gramma out. We go over and pick her up and she is always so excited. She waits with her bags of food donations. She's like a little kid in a candy store. Or, I suppose, like a person who is getting up in age and knows to appreciate every. single. moment.

Sometimes we go for hot chocolate. One time we walked it, but her back really suffered that time. Another time, we stayed out extra long to drive around a really ritzy area and look inside all the houses with their lights on.

We both LOVED it and Leon drove along shaking his head while we exclaimed about this one or that! This apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

Last year, we picked Gramma up to go see the lights, but there was no Grampa at home to be worried about this time. Just an empty chair. It's coming up on one year since he passed away, and I'm hoping and praying that I don't get so caught up in excitement and the 'to-do' list of my vacation, that I forget. 

And when we get back from our Cancun trip, my family will pick up my Gramma and off we will go again. To see the Christmas lights.

Let me tell you, that woman had better live forever, because when it comes this time of year, that is something I look forward to even more than a trip to 7-11. 

Candy Cane Lane and Gramma. 

Gramma and Candy Cane Lane. 

They just go together. 

10 comments:

Lilly said...

Oh that post bought a tear to my eye. I think that was the best post yet. I loved the pics as well - looks amazing. Christmas is a great time of year - nothing tops it I think.

Ronda's Rants said...

I love it...and I am sure she loves you! :)

Aunt Julie said...

Love the lights! Don't forget...we've got a Pop'rs Thanksgiving Extravaganza going on! Please come on by!

Betty said...

I miss the Christmas lights so much! We do have some in our town, but NOTHING compared to what I was used to in Canada.
It´s a great tradition that you have!

Danyelle Ferguson said...

What a great tradition! Your kids will have such wonderful memories of going to see the lights with Grandma.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post about your family traditions. It is hard when it is time for those transitions of life that change the tradition. We have several places with light shows like yours and we love them! They are a wonder!

wy-not said...

Beautiful. Grandma loves the tradition. And so do we, that you've made her an important part of your "bright light night!"

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Beautiful lights! I can't wait to go see the ones around here.

Mamahut said...

You are such a sweety. I miss my granny terrible.

Rebel With.A.Cause said...

Aww that is to sweet!!! The pics are awesome!!!