My life in pictures, stories and open letters.

My life in pictures, stories and open letters.
Warning

Please be advised that you are entering my blog.
My blog.
The opinions herein are mine.
I am free to rant and vent to my heart's content.
If you find yourself mentioned here, then you've made quite an impression on me.
Feel free to read on if you would like to know if that impression is good, bad or ugly.
If you choose not to know, I invite you to move your mouse over to the little red X in the top corner of your screen and click.
Regardless of the option you choose, I hope you have a fabulous day!



Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Welcome everyone visiting from Camp Candid Carrie

Okay, so first off welcome to today's field trip! I am so excited!!! If you have come over to check things out here in Canada, but have no interest in photography, I have done a little extra homework for you! If you would prefer to get to know me on a more personal level, this one is good for a laugh, this one will introduce you to my dysfunctional family, and this one will tell you about our sorrows from our personal experience with suicide. I also thought these two were quite witty. lol

If you are here for photography, well then, please, read on. I have told you a little about each one below the picture. It could be about why I took it, how I got the effect, or the camera settings that I used. Enjoy.

Always be on the lookout for a private moment. This was in no way planned. I just happened to be ready for it, and it turned out one of my favorites! The best ones are usually the pictures that are taken AFTER the picture is taken. Does that make sense?


This picture was done using the shutter speed. If you have a point and shoot camera, you should still have a variety of options that are pre-set on your camera. The one you would choose here is the picture of the little running man. If you have a manual camera, chances are you already know how to use it. You select the TV option and from there can increase your shutter speed to approximately 1000 ish so that you can catch someone in action without the movement blur. This depends on your light and whether or not you have a flash. The nice thing with digital is that you can try it a few times and check it to make sure your lighting is good enough. When the shutter speed is really high, it means that it is going to snap that picture so fast that not a whole lot of light is going to get in. If you are not careful, you could miss a really cool sports moment and end up with a black photo. Always try your settings first and adjust accordingly - BEFORE the event starts, but in the same light/general area.


This is one example of my anal-ness. When I take casual pictures, I LOVE pockets. However, in order to keep it from looking like a personal moment between this groom and his hand I make sure the thumb is out. By doing this, we can see that it is his hand resting casually in his pocket instead of us seeing his sleeve and his pants, with nothing in between and no concept of what is REALLY going on. The guys always ask me "What is it with you and thumbs?" because it's always "left hand in your pocket with your thumb out." Well, now you know. The other thing I should point out is that this was my very first wedding. I am now more conscious about avoiding centering their faces and forgetting about everything else. These days I would make sure I brought the whole picture down and gotten his feet in there instead of cutting him off at the ankle. Make the most of the space you have and take note of how much dead space is in the top half of the picture.


Matt & Bradie are going to help me give you an example how not to catch the flash in the lens of the glasses. This is something you have to be very careful with when using your flash. We had Bradie just tip her glasses down slightly. That small adjustment let us see her beautiful eyes instead of bright white glass. This delightful couple is now expecting number 8!! and you can find them at http://themattandbradiebunch.com/ and O'Canadad.com



Tilting the subject is very popular now also. The effect is very nice and gives your picture more of a professional look. When you are doing this, be sure to try it both ways. Usually you will want the subject tilted clockwise, which means turning your camera counter clockwise. Try it both ways and that way you won't be disappointed.





And always leave room for fun! Here I adjusted my aperture because I wanted everything in focus. The aperture setting lets you dictate how much light is going to get in. The higher the aperture, the smaller the window. Just remember opposites. (For a nice headshot, (portrait) you would use a low aperture (4) which brings out the subject by blurring everything in behind. Your point and shoot would be the picture of the ladie's head.) I believe on your point and shoot, it would be the landscape setting? Please correct me if I'm wrong!


There are many different tones you can use for your pictures also. Digital has given us so much room for imagination! I just love it! This one, of course, is black and white.
This one is a lighter-toned sepia. It is supposed to be an old-fashioned sort of look. It's usually not a favorite for me, but I do quite like this one.
And of course, colour. I did enhance this one to bring out the canola.

And you can never get close enough! I love close-ups!

I did have one other, but for some reason that one won't upload. There will be more photos posted on Saturday, as well as a Q&A session. I will try to have it posted then. If you want to see some more photos, please feel free to visit my photography blog at Picture Perfect Photography. You will find that I am more of a traditional photographer.

Thanks so much for stopping by and thank you to Carrie for letting me be a part of Photography Week. I hope you'll come by and visit again soon!

11 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

This tutorial was great! I've heard words like apeture, but wasn't sure exactly what that meant (I knew the definition) in terms of application.

Mamahut said...

How fun your place is! I am a wanna be photographer lol. What camera would you recomend for a wanna be. Have a great day.

wy-not said...

Very cool. Thx for the tutorial. Photography is so MUCH fun!

Amy said...

I love photography and I love your blog here, I am subscribing. This was GREAT!!!

Outnumbered2to1 said...

I just bought a digital SLR and the quality of pictures is uncomparable. I love your eye for your subjects and your tutorial was WAY more interesting than reading the Nikon owners manual or Nikon Bible that my husband keeps handing me. Thank you!

Outnumbered2to1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candid Carrie said...

Absolutely fantastic, a wealth of information. I had no clue what the "running man" indicated, seriously I never gave it much thought at all. Thank you so much and I can't wait until this weekend!

O' CanaDad said...

What a great tutorial... careful not to teach me everything you know or I may lose this dying urge I have to reach through the computer and pull you and your lense through the monitor everytime Bradie yells GET THE CAMERA QUICK!

I truly am amazed how far you have come with your photography. Every set gets better and better. You really have a talent for shooting interesting locations. I can't wait to see what you do next. Maybe my family....hey?

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! It's always good for me to hear other people's way of doing things...its more a hobby for me...but I'd love for it to be more!

Shelle (BlokThoughts)

Ronda's Rants said...

Honestly,thanks for us Gigi's out there that just want the perfect picture of their grandbabies...that information is helpful. Free advice from a professional, now if only I could find a good therapist!

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

these are wonderful pointers.